Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Revitalization

I seem to find myself starting things and not finishing them all the time. I do cook now, since that was the original reason I started this blog. I actually work in the kitchen of a restaurant. Which is not to say I'm a chef, but I do have considerable knife skills and possess the ability to not burn things in the oven. I also followed my heart back to Lafayette, LA. I have been involved in the local theater scene and getting back into music. And then.... Two days ago I moved to Panama City Beach, FL. Yes, that's right. I moved in with my brother and his roommate to help him take care of his daughter, Ezra. I never, in a million years, thought I would be in this life. I'm not the person who ever wanted children. I watched a couple of girls after school and worked in a daycare and worked in the children's department of that big huge chain bookstore that's putting everyone out of business, but nothing this intensive and time consuming. Let's get something straight, I'm not tooting my own horn and I do love my niece to pieces, but the reaction of the masses when I tell told them that I was dropping my wonderful single life in the town I love to move and nanny was strange to me. I got a lot of "you're a good sister" and "he's lucky to have you". My thoughts? I am lucky to be in a position to help, but more so, if I weren't I would find a way. This is my family. If you wouldn't bend over backwards for your family, who would? And therefore, this should be the norm. I feel like we've gotten away from the loving family mentality as a whole. Yes, things change, people move forward, and the old ways are exactly that - old. However, there are some things I feel should not have changed. Sure, divorce is higher than ever, and families can be separated, but why can we not bring ourselves to support our families and help out any way we can? I have my own issues with my family. None that matter so much that I wouldn't help or accept help from any of them. I do believe that I have one of the best core families out there though. This situation is the best example I can think of. My parents couldn't come down here to Florida, as they own a small business in Kansas and are helping my other brother and his wife with their children. Also the reason my Kansas brother and/or his wife couldn't help either. But I could. And my parents are helping me by buying a car seat for me to transport my niece to and from places we need to go. So lucky doesn't quite cover our situation, and I'm still not sure I believe in a typical ideal of God, but in this circumstance I think the term "blessed" is appropriate.

blessed   Use Blessed in a sentence bless·ed [bles-id; especially for 3, 7 blest] Show IPA adjective 3. divinely or supremely favored; fortunate: to be blessed with a strong, healthy body; blessed with an ability to find friends. 

And of course, we live on the beach in some of the best weather in the country. Can't complain about that!

Alright. The reason for my reboot of this blog? I want to document this year. It may be more or it may be less, but for better or worse I'm here for a year. I love you all. I love my family. I love my crazy life.

~Aunt Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment